The Long Lake/Raquette Lake Hiking/Paddling Challenge
Completed rows can be vertical, horizontal or diagonal.
No deadlines for completion.
Hike/Paddles from 2020 are eligible
Please do not access easement lands when closed.
*GCS = Great Camp Sagamore Historic Easement
Cedarlands & John Dillon Park have easement restrictions.
Please check NYSDEC website
GREAT CAMP SAGAMORE HISTORIC COMPLEX
Complete one row on front of card for Dunning Cruiser Patch
Complete two or more rows for Rondeau Rambler Patch
Complete entire card for Sabattis Max Patch
Patches are $5 each
Send $5 and completed cards or copies of card to:
Town of Long Lake Challenge
PO Box 496
Long Lake, NY 12847
Please follow Leave No Trace Principals. Visit loveyouradk.com for info.
Earn all three patches!
Take your time, and everyone is welcome to collect all three patches. Work your way through the challenge. There’s no rush! But as you complete the card you can collect additional patches.
PADDLING! To qualify for the Challenge – any amount of paddling on any listed water way is acceptable. Please follow all navigation laws, wear a lifejacket and familiarize yourself with safety getting in and out of your paddling watercraft.
NAME, LEVEL COMPLETED, DATE!
1. Shane Holmes, Long Lake, NY – ALL LEVELS COMPLETED 1.. 7/31/2021. Dunning, Rondeau & Sabattis
2. Doree Holmes, Long Lake, NY – ALL LEVELS COMPLETED 2.. 7/31/2021 Dunning, Rondeau & Sabattis
3. Cory Rinella, Queensbury, NY – Dunning Cruiser Completed 7/15/21
4. Maria Rinella, North River, NY – Dunning Cruiser Completed 7/15/21, Rondeau Rambler Completed 9/6/21
5. Vinnie Rinella, North River, NY – Dunning Cruiser Completed 7/15/21, Rondeau Rambler Completed 9/6/21
6. Kylie Rinella, Winter Garden, FL – Dunning Cruiser Completed 7/15/21
7. Hailey Rinella, Winter Garden, FL – Dunning Cruiser Completed 7/15/21
8. Vincent J. Rinella III, Winter Garden, FL – Dunning Cruiser Completed 7/15/21
9. Vincent J. Rinella IV, Winter Garden, FL – Dunning Cruiser Completed 7/15/21
10. Colby Rinella, Rochester NY – Dunning Cruiser Completed 8/3/21
11. Sage Rinella, Rochester, NY – Dunning Cruiser Completed 8/3/21
12. Kathi Weidman, York, PA – Dunning Cruiser Completed 8/23/21
13. Tony Martell, York, PA – Dunning Cruiser Completed 8/23/21
14. Ellen Woodworth, – Dunning Cruiser Completed 8/23/21
15. Julie Mattina, Cazenovia, NY- Dunning Cruiser Completed 8/17/21, Rondeau Rambler Completed 8/16/22
16. Nancy Sellers, Cazenovia, NY – Dunning Cruiser Completed 8/17/21, Rondeau Rambler Completed 8/16/22
17. Cathy Herrling, Elbridge, NY – Dunning Cruiser Completed 8/24/21
18. Jack Irvine, Saratoga & Long Lake, NY – Dunning Cruiser Completed 8/26/21
19. Molly Irvine, Saratoga & Long Lake, NY – Dunning Cruiser Completed 8/26/21
20. Carol Irvine, Saratoga & Long Lake, NY – Dunning Cruiser Completed
21. Jeremy Lince, Fort Plain, NY – Dunning Cruiser – Completed 7/13/21
22. Donielle Lince, Fort Plain, NY – Dunning Cruiser – Completed 7/13/21
23. David Pepper, LeRoy, NY – Dunning Cruiser – Completed 8/4/21
24. Patty Holdredge, Dunning Cruiser Completed 7/30/21, Rondeau Rambler Completed 9/29/21, Sabattis Max Patch Completed July 19, 2022. ALL LEVELS COMPLETED 7/19/22
25. John Holdredge, Dunning Cruiser Completed 7/30/21, Rondeau Rambler Completed 9/29/21, , Sabattis Max Patch Completed July 19, 2022. ALL LEVELS COMPLETED 7/19/22
26. Joyce Rodella, Penn Hills, PA Dunning Cruiser Completed 8/13/21
27. Deb Fox, Summerville, PA Dunning Cruiser Completed 8/13/21
28. Dan Nielsen, Indian Lake, NY Dunning Cruiser Completed 8/13/21
29. Thomas Penders, Queensbury, NY ALL LEVELS COMPLETED 3.. 8/26/2021. Dunning, Rondeau & Sabattis
30. Noelle McCrum, Chestertown, Dunning Cruiser & Rondeau Rambler Completed 9/10/21 Sabattis Max Completed. 5/20/22 ALL LEVELS COMPLETED.6 5/20/2022
31. Susan Sliva, Chestertown, Dunning Cruiser & Rondeau Rambler Completed 9/10/21 Sabattis Max Completed 5/20/22 ALL LEVELS COMPLETED 7. 5/20/2022
32. Rose M. Wagner, Gansevoort, NY, Dunning Cruiser Completed 9/30/21
33. Gerard J. Wagner, Gansevoort, NY, Dunning Cruiser Completed 9/30/21
34. Robert G. Williams III, Waterville, NY, Dunning & Rondeau Completed 10/8/21
35. Lisa Cavi, Queensbury,NY Dunning Completed 10/8/21
36. Glen Cavi, Queensbury, NY Dunning Completed 10/8/21
37. Carolyn Koestner, Dunning Cruiser Completed 10/23/21
38. Becca Halter, Dunning Cruiser Completed 10/23/21
39. Lenore Reber, Saratoga Springs & Indian Lake, NY- ALL LEVELS COMPLETED 4. 10/23/2021. Dunning, Rondeau & Sabattis ** Choose your own spot Sagamore Lake
40. Jack Reber, Saratoga Springs & Indian Lake, NY – ALL LEVELS COMPLETED. 5 10/23/2021. Dunning, Rondeau & Sabattis ** Choose your own spot Sagamore Lake
41. Doreen Curtin, Morrisonville, NY – Dunning Cruiser Completed 10/12/21, Rondeau Rambler Completed 8/14/22
42. Mike Gagnier, Morrisonville, NY – Dunning Cruiser Completed 10/12/21, Rondeau Rambler Completed 8/14/22
43. Barbara Blum, Brant Lake – Dunning Cruiser & Rondeau Rambler Completed 5/20/2022
44. George Kushner, Bridgewater, NJ Dunning Cruiser Completed 5/14/2022
45. Jeff LeMonds, Clifton Park, NY Dunning Cruiser & Rondeau Rambler Completed 6/6/22
46. Varda LeMonds, Clifton Park, NY Dunning Cruiser & Rondeau Rambler Completed 6/6/22
47. Matthew Jones, Fort Edward, NY Dunning Cruiser & Rondeau Rambler Completed 6/10/22
48. John Devine, Hudson Falls, NY Dunning Cruiser & Rondeau Rambler Completed 7/10/22
49. Michael Perkovich, Dunning Cruiser Completed 9/1/21
50. Eric Lauber, Dunning Cruiser & Rondeau Rambler Completed 8/14/22
51. Philip Loweecey, Amherst, NY Dunning Cruiser 8/11/22
52. Alice Loweecey, Amherst, NY Dunning Cruiser 8/11/22
53. Karen Esposito, Cambridge, NY Dunning Cruiser 8/7/22
54. Tom Esposito, Cambridge, NY Dunning Cruiser 8/7/22
55. Barbara W. Dodsworth, Indian Lake, NY Dunning Cruiser 8/25/22
56. Kelly Drapikowski, Homer NY, Dunning Cruiser 7/27/22
57. Darby Loder, Vestal, NY Dunning Cruiser 8/13/22
58. Aurora Loder, Vestal, NY Dunning Cruiser 8/13/22
59. Tom Loder, Vestal, NY Dunning Cruiser 8/13/22
60. Elizabeth Loder, Vestal NY Dunning Cruiser 8/13/22
61. Steven Saltzman, 10/9/22 Dunning Cruiser & Rondeau Rambler Completed
62. Dondi Saltzman, 10/9/22 Dunning Cruiser & Rondeau Rambler Completed
63. Rachel Ruggiero, 3/28/23 Dunning Cruiser & Rondeau Rambler Completed
BACKGROUND AND INFO ON THE HIKING/PADDLING CHALLENGE
Long Lake Parks and Recreation has developed a Hiking and Paddling Challenge and it is now officially launched! It includes a variety of hikes and paddles in the region stretching from Long Lake to Raquette Lake. There are 24 activities on the card with over 50 miles of hiking, 3 mountains, one Adirondack Great Camp and nine paddles enabling participants to achieve a variety of patches.
It looks like Bingo, but it’s a little different!
Complete one row and you will be an Alvah Dunning Cruiser.
Alvah Dunning was an experienced guide and hunter who wanted to live a simple life. He lived his life off fish and game and sharing his knowledge with sportsmen who traveled to the region in the 1800s. He moved around to avoid the influx of tourists visiting the Adirondacks newly developed tourist destinations. He lived in Blue Mountain Lake, then on to Raquette Lake where he made homes at Indian Point, Osprey Island, Brown’s Tract, and Golden Beach . Dunning starting hunting and trapping at the young age of six and guiding his first solo excursion at the age of 11 and died in 1906.
Complete two or more rows of the challenge to become a Rondeau Rambler, named after Noah John Rondeau the hermit who lived in Cold River Country.
Rondeau was an infamous Adirondack Hermit who built himself two cabins and several wigwams, and lived on trout, local game, and greens. He lived alone in Cold River City from 1929 until the blowdown of 1950 when he had to leave due to the forced closure of the area after the 1950 blowdown.
If you complete the entire card you will be rewarded with a Sabattis Maximum patch named after Adirondack Guide and Long Lake legend, Mitchell Sabattis.
Sabattis first came to Long Lake at the age of 8. Sabattis was known for his fearlessness and hunting prowess. He guided and fished in the woods of the Adirondacks and made Long Lake his home until he died in 1906.
The selections of trails and paddles were made in collaboration between with Long Lake local outdoor enthusiasts Shane and Doree Holmes along with guidance, and suggestions from the NYSDEC Region 5 staff and rangers.
The goal of the challenge is to get everyone outside to recreate on trails and waterways they may not have otherwise discovered. Some adventures are short and easy with a variety of terrain, views and unique places along the way.
Participants will be asked to keep track of when they complete their hikes and can submit for a patch as soon as one row is complete. This is not a year-round challenge as lakes and ponds freeze thereby making paddling impossible. There is no deadline or timetable associated with this card. Take as long as you need to complete the challenge. If you got outside in 2020 and already completed some of these tasks, feel free to document them to count toward your accomplishments.
Some of the challenges utilize NYS DEC Conservation Easement lands and are not always open all the time. Participants are asked to check out the rules and regulations, and open dates. More details will be available on-line at mylonglake.com/hiking-challenge as the web page evolves.
Visitors will be directed to the Cedarlands Easement, John Dillon Park, County Line Flow Waterway Easement off of Route 28N. Please note that the Cedarlands Easment is only open from August 24th until June 24th, but paddling access to Mud Pond is open year-round. John Dillon Park is located on NYS Route 30 and open only during the summer months.
While completing the tasks of the challenge everyone is asked to please adhere to the 7 Principals of Leave No Trace, and take the pledge at www.loveyouradk.com
For waterway challenges, any amount of paddling is acceptable. If it says paddle Long Lake or Raquette Lake, you can paddle as much or as little as you can handle, but please use common sense and wear lifevest and follow all NYS navigation laws. Take a lesson on how to get in and out of your canoe or kayak and get comfortable before venturing out. Check out boat rentals at Birds Marina, Burkes Marina in Raquette Lake or Another Paradise Cove or Long Lake Marina in Long Lake.
Many of the paddles listed have short carries from the car to the water, so be prepared to use some muscle to get your boat in the water. A log of those who complete the challenges will be posted at mylonglake.com/hiking-challenge
Patch Update! We didn’t want to delay the challenge, so the patches are NOT ready to go yet. But if you complete the challenge before they arrive, we will take your name and information and log it on the site and as soon as our merch arrives, we will get it out to you! We ask for patience during this time! Thank you so much. We can’t wait to get underway!
Questions email email@example.com